|Age||16 (Season I)|
18 (Season II)
|Hair Color||Black (manga)|
Light ocean blue (anime)
|Eye Color||Emerald green (anime)|
|Class||2rd year Yōkai Academy (Season I)|
3rd year Yōkai Academy (Season II)
|Voice Actor||Satsuki Yukino (Japanese)|
Lydia Mackay (English)
Tamao Ichinose (一ノ瀬 珠魚? Ichinose Tamao) is in charge of the Swimming Club. At first she seems gentle and sweet, but she uses her body to lure males into the swimming club and then sucks the life energy out of them. Why Tamao is allowed as the leader of the Swimming Club is unknown.
Later on, Tamao graduates from Yōkai Academy. Like Ririko, due to Tsukune's scent, she is in love with him, Tamao even admitted right in front of him. She is also an elder or senpai to Tsukune and the rest of the Main Girls not counting Ruby as Tsukune called her "Ichinose-senpai" when first encountering her in the pool. This most likely means she is a sophomore at age seventeen in Season I of both the manga and the anime.
Physical Appearance[edit | edit source]
Tamao has turquoise colored hair along with having fair skin and yellow colored eyes. Her hair appears black in the manga. When transformed her mouth expands and becomes scaly, along with her teeth becoming jagged and shark-like. Her legs and feet also transform into an orange colored mermaid tail. Her hands become webbed, allowing her to maneuver through the water.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Being a mermaid, Tamao relies on her beauty to lure her victims into the pool and sucks the energy. She seems to get offended when people call her a tiny fish-as she was enraged when Moka called her a minnow-or comment on her fishy smell.
Powers and Abilities[edit | edit source]
Powers[edit | edit source]
Mermaid Physiology: As a mermaid, Tamao is an aquatic yokai being nearly invincible while in the water and being a yokai that specializes in alluring men like a succubus. In fact as a mermaid, she is considered to be a dangerous enemy towards a vampire like Moka since vampires are weakened by water.
- Transformation: She can assume a human form and change back to her mermaid form at will. In her true she has a fish-like features and sharp teeth
- Immense Swimming Speed: She can swim at incredible speed and is able to jump very high distances.
- Underwater Breathing: As a mermaid she can breath underwater.
- Life Force Absorption: She has the ability to drain her prey of their life force, but the reason to why she does this is unknown. Though it is presumed that she does so in order to sustain her youth and life.
- Water Empowerment: Tamao gets stronger, more powerful and nearly invincible in water.
- Allure: As a mermaid, Tamao can put any man under her spell with her beauty.
- Amphibious Breathing: Like all mermaid, she can breathe indefinitely underwater due to having gills located in her cheeks and neck. When she assumes her human form, she can also breathe on land indefinitely.
Weakness[edit | edit source]
Despite being nearly "invincible" in water, mermaids are powerless when out of it. This is shown when Tamao Ichinose is in mid-air and is beaten soundly by Moka, showing that they are not agile out of water.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the anime, her hair is light blue while in the manga, her hair appears to be black.
- Her role in the anime was longer than her role in the manga, having appeared several times after her defeat in the anime, while in the manga she only appeared one more time when Tsukune's cousin, Kyoko Aono sneaked into the school festival.
- Tamao's name Tamao (珠魚) can translate to "Beaded fish" in Japanese and can also roughly mean "pearl fish" in Japanese.