|Manga||Rosario + Vampire II Chapter 029|
|Technique||• Elbow Strike|
• Seal Breaking
• Jigen-Tō (Dimensional Sword)
• Hōgetsu Jigen-Tō (崩月次元刀, Moon-Crushing Dimensional Sword)
• Yōho Saishūsui (Counter Step Fist Block)
• Hyakūji Ryōran (Profusion of one hundred blades)
• Magic Circle
|Relatives||Issa Shuzen (Father)|
Kahlua Shuzen (Younger half-sister)
Jasmine (Best Friend)
Moka Akashiya (Younger half-sister)
Kokoa Shuzen (Youngest half-sister)
Gyokuro Shuzen (Stepmother)†
Akasha Bloodriver (Stepmother)
Fairy Tale (formerly)
Akua Shuzen (朱染 亞愛 Shuzen Akua), Aqua Shuzen and Aqua in some English manga adaptions, such as VIZ Media manga, is the eldest of the Shuzen sisters who moved in with Gyokuro Shuzen and Issa Shuzen after she lost her mother at a young age and she is especially close to Moka Akashiya (Akua's younger sister).
It’s revealed that Akua is a direct descendant of Alucard and like him, wants to destroy the human race. However, her desire to do so was sparked by the death of Jasmine (Akua's best friend) at the hands of humans that Akua now seeks to help Moka and wants her sister be happy.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 History
- 4 Manga
- 5 Relationships
- 6 Powers and Abilities
- 7 Quotes
- 8 Etymology
- 9 Trivia
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Akua has pale skin, red eyes with slits for pupils, and deep-black hair held into two pigtails or ponytails. She is often seen wearing the traditional Chinese cheongsam, her preferred black attire with black knee high combat boots.
According to Touhou Fuhai, Akua hasn’t grown in all the years that have passed since Outer Moka was created by the Rosario Cross, as he pointed out her small breast size. She hates being reminded about this, reacting in embarrassment which promoted Akua is possibly the second shortest girl out of the four sisters of the Shuzen.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Although Akua is brutal in terms of strength, she seems to truly care for her sisters, particularly Moka Akashiya, whom she loves very much. She has shown a reluctance in fighting, stating that she didn’t want to kill Akasha Bloodriver in front of Moka, and by doing so, it would sadden her. She has a very dark and violent side, and will annihilate anyone who gets in her way. She goes as far as to threaten the lives of Tsukune Aono and his friends, if Moka didn’t get on Fairy Tale’s ship. While she is truly kind towards Moka, she isn’t afraid to harm those around her, including her mother, friends, and the person she believes to be Moka’s “partner in marriage”, claiming herself to be the only one Moka truly has, and states in return that Moka’s all she herself has. When she fought Tsukune in a one-on-one battle, he saw into Akua’s heart; deep inside, she’s a little girl crying for love. It’s revealed that years before in China she lived in a human society with her ‘friend’ Jasmine. They hid their identities of being vampires but the humans suspected Akua as one for hurting a boy that Jasmine liked. When Jasmine went to the village to explain, the villagers refused to listen, then tortured and skewered her. Jasmine looked very much like Moka; probably the reason that Akua truly loves Moka. Even years later, Akua still remembers Jasmine’s final words to her, which causes her to break into tears upon hearing Tsukune say them; he was willing to let the vampire blood in him take over if it meant saving the life of the ones he loved.
Akua’s hurting of the boy who Jasmine liked was most likely due to jealousy or envy, even possibly anger. It seems that Akua is simply the type of person who cannot share love, both emotionally and mentally. She seems to have a misunderstanding of love and has difficulty seeing the differences between loyalty and loving more than one person.
Despite her difficulty with seeing love properly, she is good inside and truly does have a good heart. Her cry for love may or may not be the terms of “desperation”, as she is simply desperate for love and attention, showing a sign of both an inferiority complex and insecurities. For these reasons, she is sad, and this cannot be helped, because it seems she does not want to help herself. While initially not a threat to Moka’s Rosario while okay with the rosary, Akua is particularly nonfond of Tsukune and sees him as a threat to her as Akua is particularly jealous that Tsukune makes Moka so happy, which Akua wants to be the reason for Moka’s happiness.
History[edit | edit source]
Akua Shuzen is the first sister in Moka Akashiya’s family. Like Kahlua, she is also a member of Fairy Tale, but was once a member and assassin of the Miao Family. Not much is known about her, but it is pointed out that Akua is not on good terms with Moka, as something happened between the two in the past.
Akua’s mother died when she was young and she had lived with a relative in China before coming to live with the Shuzen Family. She is extremely skilled in Chinese kung-fu, as her “Youho Saishusui” (translated as “Twist Step, Plucking Hand Strike”) could knock a person out for at least three days. Akua has amazing insight in battle as she was able to see the truth behind Kahlua. She was known in the Chinese underground even as a child. She is called “The Jet Black Diva” because of her black attire and lethal kung-fu.
Before meeting the Shuzen Family, Akua lived in secret amongst humans, with a vampiress named Jasmine. After Jasmine was mutilated by humans, Akua swore on her remains that she’d exterminate humans. This was why she joined Alucard.
It was revealed Akua was after Akasha, and wanted to absorb her “Shinso” power. Before attempting such a feat, she mastered the Hougetsu Jigen-Tou (also known as the “Moon Crushing Dimensional Sword”), a powerful blade that delays the existence of its wielder. It can cut through anything and it seems that the only thing that can stop a Jigen-Tou, is another one to par with it and Muei-Tou.
During their battle, it appears that Akua has the edge, though Akasha doesn’t seem to be fighting back and instead, is trying to get through to her. The two of them are then interrupted by Moka who has come back to retrieve the Rosario Cross. Demanding to know why Akua is hurting her mother and with Akasha distracted, Akua slices her in half. Witnessing her mother’s “death”, Moka unleashes her Shinso power and kicks a bewildered Akua.
Akua is completely shocked at Moka displaying the Shinso power since it’s not supposed to be hereditary. Due to this, Alucard awakens due to the Shinso blood in Moka becoming active again and destroys the Shuzen manor. Akua tries to save Moka, whom Alucard immediately attacks to feast on her blood, but is saved by Akasha, whom to her surprise has survived.
Watching as Akasha once again seals the beast, Akua remembers her last words to her as Akasha entrusts Moka to her protection.
Manga[edit | edit source]
In the present time, Akua is seen arriving at the Huang Family’s mansion searching for Moka. She engages in combat with Fang Fang’s parents, whom she defeats easily. She soon arrives at the room where Moka and the others are. Akua starts to tear, happy to see her older sister after seven long years. Fang Fang attempts to attack Akua, and she retaliates, only to be stopped by Ling Ling. Surprised, Akua asks Ling Ling how she was able to stop her Jigen-Tou. Ling Ling smiles and claims she is a zombie created by Touhou Fuhai, and that she has inherited his technique. They do battle, where Akua’s greater speed and endurance win over Ling Ling’s tactics.
Even rounds from an Uzi and a suicide bombing attempt from Ling Ling fails to harm Akua as she alters the Jigen-Tou technique to ‘phase out her body, allowing the bullets to go right through her and to phase into the ground to prevent injury from the blast. She strikes down Fang Fang before she realizes that Moka’s body has been moved. Fuhai reveals himself to her, having escaped from Moka’s rosary seal to save his grandchildren.
Conversing with Touhou Fuhai, Akua once again demands that Touhou Fuhai turn Moka over to her. When he asks her why she is so determined to get to Moka, she replies by saying it’s because she loves her, and wants to protect her with her own hands in order to fulfill her promise to Akasha. She asks Touhou Fuhai to hand Moka over so that they do not have to fight, but Fuhai, overcome with rage at what Akua did to his family, engages her in combat using his own Hogetsu Jigen-Tou which it is revealed he can use from long-range.
At this point, however, Akua decides to use Fei-Hong Huang and Huang Ten-Ten as hostages in order to force Fuhai to hand over Moka. She then realizes that Moka is actually hidden behind a barrier in the room behind Fuhai, and then uses her own Hogetsu Jigen Tou at range (which she uses after only witnessing it once) and breaks the barrier, revealing Moka behind it.
Akua comments on how many friends Moka has made at school, and asks her if she would not like to see her friends get hurt. Realizing there are too many hostages, Moka decides to leave with Akua in order to protect everyone. Welcoming her to Fairy Tale, Akua and Moka depart on a large blimp surrounded by gremlins, as Tsukune and the others look on.
Akua and Moka are next seen on the blimp. The inside is large and lavished with elegant decorations and with a large number of servants standing at attention. When led to her room, Moka is surprised at its grandeur and pauses, making one of Akua's henchmen push her into the room to hurry her up. Akua becomes mad at seeing her big sister (the daughter of the respected Akasha Bloodriver) being treated with such disrespect and warns to decapitate the servant should he ever lay a hand on Moka again. Akua tells Moka to relax and change and then goes to her own quarters. Upon closing the door however, her icy demeanor changes and she talks to herself about how "cute" Moka is.
However, her plans are suddenly and abruptly derailed when she returns to Moka’s room only to find that Inner Moka had switched personalities with Outer Moka. She asks why now only to find a note stuck to the rosary that was written by Touhou Fuhai. It reads “The seal has been fixed. Sorry~! – Touhou Fuhai” and upon reading it, she angrily exclaims his name.
She later takes Moka to Fairy Tale Headquarters, where she constantly asks Outer Moka questions to see if she differs from the Inner Moka. After trying to comfort Moka by telling her she is with her and she does not have to be alone, Akua is angered to learn that Outer Moka doesn’t consider herself alone as she has the News Club for friends. In return for this, she takes her to see Alucard and reminds her that Akasha is still sealing from the inside, causing Moka to cry.
She later informs Moka of the News Club to save her and informs Moka that if she tries to hold back Alucard’s awakening, she will be taken apart by the resulting seal release.
When Kurumu and Mizore found Moka, they immediately engaged in battle with Akua. Even though they fought admirably, Akua defeated them while Moka’s seal broke; awakening Inner Moka. When Akua called Tsukune Moka's “tool”, she kicked her only to find out she is using her power to keep the seal intact. During Alucard's raucous, Akua and Moka both spotted Tsukune. As Akua went to kill him, she is surprised at Tsukune’s sudden burst of speed. As Moka cried to Tsukune’s resolve to protect her, Akua cried that Moka opened her heart to him instead of her.
In chapter 56, Akua begins to falter in her attacks against Tsukune and Moka. She then has a flashback, possibly to her childhood, where a possible friend of hers shouts that she’ll never forgive her. This completely distracts Akua, and Moka manages to land a brutal blow that probably was enough to break her neck.
In chapter 65, at the end of the manga chapter, Akua reappeared, cutting off Alucard's arm when he was about to attack Moka. That indicates that she manage to survive after taking the brutal blow from Moka in her previous fight and now she’s standing in Alucard's way to protect Moka. In chapter 65.5, Akua reveals that she made a deal with Alucard, to spare Moka's life in exchange for undoing her seal. The two begin to fight, and Alucard tells the story of “Akua and her best friend” Jasmine, who was mutilated and “skewered” by humans, noting that Moka and Jasmine look alike. He also reveals that he helped Akua because of her desire for revenge.
Akua tells him to shut up and completely slashes him with the Jigen-Tou in a single instant - where the other characters were unable to touch him at all. Telling Moka that she will protect her from now on, and telling her that there are things more important than revenge, Akua reaches for her big sister, but is stopped when Alucard's spines burst from the ground and pierce Tsukune. As Alucard reassembles - being unable to die unless his “true” body is killed, Akua cries.
Minutes later, she finds Tsukune comforting the seemingly lifeless Moka. She tells him the seal is completely gone, as is Outer Moka. Though she also proclaimed her life wasn’t completely lost, and offered to revive her. After this proclamation, she bites Moka and started to inject her own blood, and while doing this, she began to remember her best friend Jasmine and the small discussion they had before the humans capture her and kill her.
Tsukune then intervenes and tells Akua that she’s giving too much blood and that she’ll die before saving Moka, Akua gets angry and pulls back Tsukune to reveal his underdeveloped fangs, she tells him that blood can only be injected through vampiress fangs and that his half-grown fangs are useless and she goes on to say that he is weak and that his blood is unable to save Moka. Tsukune then tells her that he’ll become a vampire and remove the Holy Lock which is suppressing his power, Akua warns Tsukune that by making that decision he will not only die but become just like one of Gyokuro’s experiments.
Tsukune attempts to proceed and is questioned by Akua who tells him that he is crazy and that a human wouldn’t go that far, Tsukune removes the Holy Lock without hesitation, stunning Akua, he replies that he doesn’t care about the differences between humans and monsters, nothing is more important to him than the woman he loves. When he says this Akua thinks of Jasmine from Tsukune’s kind words, he then proceeds to give Moka blood in order to revive her, she realizes that Tsukune's average feelings for Moka are real and is willing to give his life for Moka’s, in tears, Akua then calls out Tsukune’s full name as he proceeds to revive Moka with his blood.
After Kurumu, Mizore and Kokoa arrive and find out they can’t reach Tsukune because of the power vortex, Akua shows herself and tells Kurumu and Mizore she has no wish to fight them. After Akua explained Tsukune’s dire predicament and seeing Kurumu’s distress, San Otonashi showed up letting them know Alucard was en route to kill Tsukune and Moka. Akua held out her hand and tells them she’s willing to help.
After she created a spell circle that would allow them all to help Tsukune and Moka, Akua was asked why she would help. She said because she understood why they all risked their lives for Tsukune…as she had also fallen for him. After a moment in which everyone was floored by this, Kurumu said Akua couldn’t have him and Akua said/claimed that she was joking as she loved Moka alone. They pooled their power and feelings to help and save Tsukune and Moka. Before Alucard could attack, the vortex dissipated and revealed Tsukune and Moka as fully realized Shinso Vampires.
When Alucard rose up refusing to die, Akua was seemly surprised that he is still alive. A few minutes later after Alucard reveals the true plan to rule over Japan along with his clones that hatched out of the eggs he planted all over the cities and members of the Wong families, Miu families and Yōkai Academy appear battling his clones every where, Akua joins her sister’s friends and she along with everyone proceed to attack Alucard in the final battle.
When Tsukune places the destroyed Rosario on Alucard’s chest which recreates Akasha’s revival, Akua is indeed surprised. As the Three Dark Lords and Alucard set up a self-destruction spell leaving their dream of humans and creatures living in peace to the next generation to set off on a new journey, Akua comes to Moka and Tsukune revealing that the Outer Moka they’ve known was Akasha to protect Moka as a personality and the promise she made was to set Moka free all for her sister's happiness.
Akasha thanks Akua for keeping her silly promise for the past 7 years as Akua replied with a smile by saying, “you have…no idea the pain it caused me.” Akua watches as Tsukune activates the self-destruction spell vanishing from the world.
In chapter 67 Extra II Epilogue/Tales, Akua is playing chess with Kahlua (revived by Miyabi) and the two of them are to become future leaders of the Shuzen Family.
Relationships[edit | edit source]
Akua has high confidence in Kahlua, knowing she kills when she angered. Kahlua is a high-powered vampiress, and Akua acknowledges that. The two are both the oldest of the Shuzen Sisters, Akua being the first, while Kahlua is the second.
Moka Akashiya is Akua’s second youngest sister. Akua is infatuated with her because Moka looks like Jasmine. She did not want to kill Akasha, because it would sadden Moka. Akua is on good terms with both Inner and Outer Moka. To Akua, Moka is the most special person in the world.
Akua sees Kokoa as a rambunctious young runt sister but loves Kokoa and takes care of her. Kokoa is not afraid of Akua like she is afraid of Kahlua and they were pretty close. However, as Akua was working with Fairy Tale, Kokoa considered her an enemy, although whether she intended to personally fight her like she did with Kahlua remained unknown. Whether Akua is aware of this remains unclear but her cold gaze when they finally met in person implied she did know and Kokoa was weary of her at first. However, they soon accepted they were going to fight together and worked well in battle, but they have not been seen interacting yet.
Issa is Akua’s biological father, although Gyokuro is not biologically related to Akua. Issa took her in after she had nowhere to go. Issa sees Akua as a very powerful vampiress.
Gyokuro Shuzen is Akua Shuzen’s stepmother. She takes Akua in as by Alucard’s request. Gyokuro was powerful and strong before she died. Akua might see her as a mother figure.
Alucard is Akua’s grandfather and the one who inspired Akua to kill all humans. Alucard is a strong and powerful vampire that killed other monsters to become more powerful.
Jasmine is a young vampiress who looks a lot like Moka and Akua’s stepsister who got upset when Akua killed the boy she liked.
Powers and Abilities[edit | edit source]
Powers[edit | edit source]
- Immense Speed: She can move far faster than humans and the average member of her species, above supersonic speed or even faster as shown when she appeared in front of Miyabi Fujisaki and sliced off his right hand before the Shinso could react as well as slicing him to several pieces despite Miyabi's attention facing Akua and the small distance apart between the two.
- Enhanced Agility: Akua is also very agile being able to land a few attacks on Akasha Bloodriver during their fight and even jump several feet into the air to launch her Hyakujin Ryouran upon the Shinso vampire. Later on during the start of her fight with Tsukune Aono and Moka Akashiya, Akua proceeded to travel across the battlefield right to where Tsukune was with one powerful leap and attempted to bisect him with a Jigen-Tou.
- Enhanced Durability: The tissues of her body are considerably harder and more resistant to physical injury than those of an ordinary human. She is capable of withstanding great impact forces, and many other forms of damage as shown when she fought against Mizore Shirayuki and Kurumu Kurono where she was able to defeat two of them with ease grievously wounding them while remaining completely unharmed throughout the battle. When Akua had falter during her fight with Tsukune and Moka thus allowing Moka to land a powerful kick to her face that sent Akua flying through a boulder, Moka remarked that the strike was about enough to break Akua's neck due to her not having high endurance. Though she reappeared to save Moka from Miyabi Fujisaki after he revealed himself as the Masked King and Alucard completely unharmed and without any strain in her performance.
- Enhanced Stamina: Akua's musculature produces considerably less fatigue toxins than the musculature of ordinary humans or ordinary monsters allowing to be physically active for longer periods of time. Seven years ago after Moka Akashiya's awakening of her Shinso blood, Akua aided Akasha Bloodriver in rescuing Moka just after doing battle against the Dark Lord and suffering a great injury from Moka's enraged kick. She was able to fight effectively against multiple opponents for a considerable amount of time in rapid succession as Akua was able to fight on even grounds against Moka and Tsukune Aono just after defeating Kurumu Kurono and Mizore Shirayuki simultaneously.
- Immense Reflexes: Her reflexes are heightened in a similar manner and are far superior to those of the finest human athlete and most of her species. The limit of her full extent is unknown, however she was capable of dodging and reacting to each of Inner Moka and Tsukune's attack at the time with Tsukune's First Seal Unlock.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: As a vampiress, Akua has high healing abilities being able to recover from deadly injuries quickly as shown when she took two powerful kicks from Inner Moka one which caused bleeding to her forehead and two which send her crashing into a boulder and later reappeared to confront Miyabi (AKA Shinso Alucard) completely unharmed.
- Yōki Detection: Like other vampires, Akua can detect Yōki. This technique allows the user to detect the energies of the beings around him/her, letting the user react faster when is attacked.
- Great Demonic Aura: Despite only being considered as a mere S-Class vampiress, Akua Shuzen’s Yōki is powerful enough to rival against the likes of Alucard - the strongest shinso vampire as shown when Miyabi released his Yōki which brought everyone down to their knees, Akua shown the only one standing mostly unfazed as she was only slightly shaken when he released his Yoki.
- Blood Transfusion: As a vampiress, Akua is able to use this in order to revive Moka, however, the more blood she transfers her body will become cold and she'll be on the verge of death. By doing this, she was willing to give Moka more of her blood, even if it cost her own being to do so.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Master Hand-to-Hand Combatant: Akua is an exceptional fighter and is highly masterful in Kung Fu. As demonstrated when she was fighting against Kahlua in the Shuzen Mansion where she easily overwhelmed her younger sister. Akua managed to pressure Akasha Bloodriver when the Shinso could not use her full powers at the risk of Alucard's awakening. Touhou Fuhai has remarked that she is a true genius and had already surpassed him hand-to-hand combat and that Tsukune could never defeat someone like her. After easily defeating both Kurumu and Mizore simultaneously, Kurumu noted that even if they had trained for 1,000 years they still could not hope to defeat Akua. When she was fighting equally against both Tsukune and Moka in the Floating Garden Fortress holding her own ground which Gyokuro pointed out Akua wasn't even fighting seriously due to her love for Moka (albeit Tsukune Aono was also holding back as well). During that fight Tsukune had noted that if Moka wasn't helping him at the time then he would had have been killed by Akua several times over and that they were only able to temporarily defeat Akua because she had started faltering from remembering Jasmine.
Master Assassin: Akua is well renowned within the Chinese Yokai Mafia as a fearsome assassin known as the "Black Deva" when she was still working for the Miao Family with her title coming from her incredibly lethal Kung Fu and black colored attire.
Youjutsu Master: Akua is very skillful at Youjutsu with the Hougetsu Jigen-Tou being her specialty like Touhou Fuhai and the Dark Lord remarking that she had mastered the technique to the point of it being her own. Indeed,her profiency rivals that of Touhou Fuhai himself,the technique's creator. In fact she even created her own personal technique that extends from the original Jigen-Tou. She can also cast various powerful spells of the art. Akasha had even referred to Akua as a sinister child when she had proficiently learned the Jigen-Tou as such a young age when the two had fought.
Evasion Master: Akua can evade deadly projectiles or punches made at her because she knows how to use dimension techniques that allows her to slide physical objects using the dimensions. Ling Ling attempted to kill Akua with a suicide explosion but Akua hid underground and survived. Another example of this is when Tim-Tim Huang threw needles at Akua and Akua evades them by making her body a Jigen-Tou. Also Akua has general experience in fights which helps her evade attacks.
Keen Intellect: Akua is very perceptive and she can easily read the opponent's movements. Her experience fighting as a child is one of the reasons why she is so adept in combat. Akua is capable of understanding how an ability or a technique works almost instantly. This is seen when she is fighting Tsukune (who has decent fighting skills) and compares his moves to a wild beast who only knows how to charge. The same can be said when she had fought Kahlua and she could see through her younger sister's rage something that Moka made careful note about and wondered how much of her potential was Akua hiding from the Shuzen Family at the time. She is arguably the most intelligent out of the four sisters of the Shuzen.
Expert Researcher: Akua seems to also research about weaknesses and/or missing components to forefill her goal to become a Shinso and rule the world. Interestingly enough she researched the Jigen-Tou and worked it as her own technique. Later in Rosario + Vampire Touhou claims that there is a 40 second pause in which Akua cannot phase after using the Jigen-Tou but it can be assumed that he was saying that based on his own use of the technique and not a general law of the Jigen-Tou as Akua was not effected by it. It is implied that Akua can use the technique even better than Touhou Fuhai can.
Techniques[edit | edit source]
Martial Arts Techniques:[edit | edit source]
- Elbow Strikes: Akua seems to specialize in elbow strikes in Chinese Kung-Fu as shown when she fights Kahlua. She uses them as a maneuver to block Kahlua's attacks (and strike at the same time) then use Youho Saishusui on Kahlua.
- Youho Saishusui (Twist Step, Plucking Hand Strike): A powerful Kung-Fu technique where after setting up a trap, Akua pushes her opponent's attack upwards with her right hand while delivering a devastating left hand punch that can incapacitate a person for three days.
Youjutsu Techniques:[edit | edit source]
- Hougetsu Jigen-Tou (Moon Crushing Dimensional Sword): Akua possess remarkable profiency with Jigen - Tou,having been able to equal Touhou Fuhai's own Jigen - Tou and can even attack from a distance with this attack as well. As a dimensional blade technique it can't be blocked unless the dimension it is going through is blocked. Jigen-Tou can break through barriers because of this property it has to slice through anything. Akua also uses the principles of Jigen-Tou to become intangible.
- Hyakujin Ryouran (Profusion of One Hundred Blades): a more powerful version of the common version of Jigentou Akua uses. It is literally one hundred blades slicing through anything in its way.
- Seal Breaking: Can break seals but it takes time to set up unlike her other techniques.
- Transference Magic Circle: A technique that create a magic circle allowing those on the circle's edge to forcibly intervene with those at the circle's center. She along with Tsukune's friends used this in order to save Tsukune by not turning him back to a human, but giving him the final push to become a vampire so he can have full control over his Shinso powers. That is by transferring their knowledge, experience, and skills to Tsukune.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- “If you hate me… hate yourselves for making an enemy out of me.”
- (To Moka) “We finally meet… my beautiful Moka….”
- “…But, even that won’t be enough, to scratch me.”
- (To Moka) “Your existence is far too heavy for Tsukune-kun and the others.”
- (To Moka) “… It’s ironic, you know. The feelings you all possess, and your bond, are the real thing, and consequently, once again, that loss has broken the final seal… Good morning, Moka.”'
- (To Moka) So that’s Tsukune, huh…? Let me tell you in advance. I am going to kill him right now. Now I wonder if you can catch up and protect him?”
- (To Moka) “Show me your true self, Moka. As long as you’re still covering for the little girl and suppressing your energy, you don’t have a chance of stopping me.”
- “My most beloved big sister opens her heart, not to me... but to that man.”
- (To Tsukune) “You’re not good enough for Moka.”
- (To Moka) “Aiya, this is why I told you, Moka, that you should just awaken and then we could run away together.”
- “Because I'm also the type who'll do anything for the person I like.”
Etymology[edit | edit source]
- The name Akua means "Overlook" (亞) (aku) and "love, affection" (愛) (a).
- The character spelling of her name, Aqua, spelled as “亞愛” can also be pronounced as "Tsuguru Ai" with "ai" meaning "love" and "Tsuguri ai" together meaning "love affair", in which this meaning is also not dissimilar to her personality and misunderstandings of the terms of love where the name can also translate to "dominant love".
- It can also come from the Latin word "Aqua", which literally means "water" and it is another part of how the Shuzen Family members are named after beverages.
- The character spelling of her name, Aqua, spelled as “亞愛” can also be pronounced as "Tsuguru Ai" with "ai" meaning "love" and "Tsuguri ai" together meaning "love affair", in which this meaning is also not dissimilar to her personality and misunderstandings of the terms of love where the name can also translate to "dominant love".
- Akua's surname Shuzen means "vermilion red" (朱) (shu) and "dye" (染) (zen).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It is hinted that Akua may be a very important member in Fairy Tale, as Moka notices the respect that her sister gets. This is mostly likely due to her alliance with Alucard (Miyabi Fujisaki), who is the 1st Division's leader.
- One of Akua’s favorite lines is Aiya. Which is basically “oh jeez”. She uses this term when she confronts trivial problems.
- Despite all of her successes, Akua's live can be said to have been under pretenses and failures when it comes to someone she loves until about the end of the series. First, she wanted to take care of Jasmine but instead her actions led to her sister rejecting and soon being killed. Second, while she was initially more successful with Moka, once she nearly kills Akasha, once again Akua gets hated by someone who she wants to protect and be loved by, which only further escalates to greater heights after Akua harmed Moka's friends. However, this has since stopped after Moka realized the true reason.
- Her hatred of humans was rather ironicly sparked; she harmed a boy Jasmine liked, causing her to go back and explain things in hopes of peace, but was killed and thus made Akua hate humans. This was probably because the boy made Akua jealous, and Akua had a misunderstanding of love at the time.
- She has completely mastered the Jigen-Tou as if it were her own technique, as stated by Touho Fuhai. She understands it to such a level that she has learned how to use it from a distance.
- Akua has not really developed figure-wise and shows that she hates it when people mention her lack of growth.
- Some fans consider this to form of karma that's serves as punishment for all the violence Aqua commits.
- Akua’s name literally translates to “dominant love” or “love affair”.
- Akua’s name follows the Shuzen trend of being named after beverages, hers being "aqua" which is water.
- In the manga some of Akua’s scenes her facial expression resembles the evil spirit from "The Grudge" series.
- In Chapter 55, Tsukune mentions that despite Akua's violent and fearful personality, he feels her sunken in sadness. This sadness stems from Akua's loss of Jasmine.
- In comparison to other vampiresses, Akua has very weak endurance, hence the reason for her high evasion and use of the Jigen-Tou.
- Following shifting to defensive against Inner Moka's and Tsukune's tag team assault, Akua begins to question herself on why she is fighting, specifically she wonders what she must've done to make Moka so mad at her.
- Given that Akua kidnapped Moka, attempted to kill her friends, aided in the awakening of Alucard (twice) and is partially responsible for Akasha’s imprisonment within Alucard’s body, and still cannot find the reason for Moka's reaction, and that she shows a desperate need for Moka's affections, hints at a classic case of obsession in Akua’s case.
- When addressed by name when Kurumu, Mizore and Kokoa showed up she gazed coldly at them as if to say “My dear little sister, Kurumu and Mizore. How…charming to see you again.”
- When Akua said she didn’t actually fall for Tsukune, it is possible that she was using the natural Vampire’s gift for deceit to calm Kurumu’s agitation…
- As Akua seemed unaffected by the supposed 40-second-vulnerability that came with returning to her original dimension that Touhou Fuhai mentioned, as well as the fact that he admitted her to have surpassed him in hand-to-hand combat, it is plausible that she is superior combatively to him.